Marrow has always been one of my favourite vegetables to eat. When I was younger, we used to go to a "pick your own" farm towards the end of summer and pick lots of fruit and vegetables at much cheaper prices than the supermarket. Every time we went, I have vivid memories of coming home with a stack of Marrows and then my mum concocting lots of different things to do with them.
Marrows are a funny old vegetable. A member of the squash family, they are very distinctive looking and a vegetable which people often don't know what to do with. Marrows are great for soups, jams and chutneys, cakes and bakes, in ratatouille and also baked and stuffed.
Baked Stuffed Marrow makes a perfect vegetarian main meal and can be stuffed with all manner of things - vegetables, vegetarian mince, or vegetarian chicken pieces. For this recipe, I stuffed a marrow with a bolognese-style sauce. It was so filling and tasted really delicious.
1 medium sized Marrow
350g Vegetarian Mince
1 Onion, chopped and sliced
1 Pepper, chopped and sliced
2 Carrots, chopped and sliced
250g Mushrooms - chopped and sliced
1 400g tin chopped Tomatoes
1 500g jar of Onion & Garlic pasta sauce
- Fry the onion and salt flakes in a large saucepan with a little oil over a medium heat for 4 minutes
- Add the pepper, carrots and Mushrooms and continue to fry for 4 minutes.
- Tip in the mince,add more oil and stir to break up any clumps (tip - pound the bag of mince with a rolling pin to get all of the lumps out before opening). Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the tomatoes and pasta sauce in the pan and place the oregano and basil in also
- Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes over a low heat, stirring frequently.
- Lightly brush the marrow with olive oil and cook for 10 minutes in the oven at 200 degrees.
- Remove the marrow and stuff with the bolognese sauce. Return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven once more, sprinkle some cheese over the top of the bolognese and cook for a further 15 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and serve immediately