A quick blog post today to say Happy Shrove Tuesday or Happy Pancake Day! We are on half-term this week, and so my children are very much looking forward to making pancakes today and filling them with lots of delicious sweet fillings. I am looking forward to cooking up some pancakes to fill with some yummy vegetarian fillings once the kids have gone to bed and hubby and I can sit down and eat! Hubby is typically the chief pancake flipper in our house, although this year, I know that the girls are keen to give Daddy a run for his money!
There are lots of fantastic sweet and savoury pancake fillings which can be made on Pancake Day. If you are stuck for inspiration as to what fillings to have in your pancakes, here are a few ideas to get you going. I have to say, whilst lots of these sound yummy, I am a bit of a purist and will always opt for lemon and sugar pancakes ahead of any other!
What is your favourite Pancake filling? Feel free to comment and let me know your favourite filling!
Basic Pancake Recipe
50g plain flour
150ml whole milk
a pinch of salt
Olive Oil for cooking
- Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, and make a well in the centre.
- In a jug, beat the milk and eggs together.
- Whisk the egg and milk mixture into the flour, adding a little at a time until you have a smooth batter.
- In a frying pan, heat a small amount of oil over a medium temperature.
- Pour around one quarter of the mixture into the pan and spread around to the sides. Cook for 30 seconds on one side, and then flip to the other side.Each side should be golden brown when cooked.
- Repeat for each pancake and serve immediately.