This is a mini rant which has been brewing for a while, but after a weekend of rubbish menu options for vegetarians, I have decided to post it. Even though I am vegetarian, I wouldn't say I am a massively fussy, but it seems that sometimes vegetarians are treated as second class citizens. Vegetarians get one menu option and if you don't like the veggie option, then eat some fish and shut up is apparently the general consensus!
So here are some pet hates from my fellow vegetarians and I. Thanks to people on Twitter, friends and Herts Vegetarian/Vegan group members for contributing their pet hates.
- People who assume that as a Vegetarian, you eat chicken - NO!!
- Do you eat Fish????? ARGH!!! the F-word. Please think of something else to say, for example "that's really great, I really admire your ethical stance".
- Vegetarians who cant resist bacon/kebab/burger - you are not a true Vegetarian!
- Vegetarians/Vegans who wear leather/fur - Seriously?
- People who automatically think that you are Vegetarian for "political reasons" and therefore you automatically think meat eaters are evil.
- People who think its funny to tell you how much meat they love to eat or tell you they think you are doing a great job being Vegetarian/Vegan, but they couldn't do it themselves.
- The Vegetarian option in restaurants always being an afterthought.
- People who automatically scan the restaurant menu for Vegetarian dishes and then tell you what you can eat - I can read and I don't tell you what to eat!
- Pasta bake. This is not an acceptable Vegetarian alternative when dining out. It is LAZY. Call yourself a chef??
- The Vegetarian option being served with meat gravy.
- When the veggie option is pasta with bland tomato sauce.
- Vegetable Wellington on Wedding Menus - frozen food cop out.
- Menu options such as Stuffed peppers, Goats Cheese Risotto, Vegetable Curry, Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni - yuck!!
- The frozen Vegetarian option - bleurgh!
- Non vegetarian Roast Potatoes. This is an argument I have with my family every year and I just don't understand why they still insist on doing it (i.e. basting the potatoes in turkey fat) even though it really upsets me that I can't eat a simple roast potato.
- Deserts with gelatine in. Always such a disappointment. Finally a course with a greater chance of a choice on the menu, but once again Vegetarians are not free to order anything on the list, but have to check if there are any hidden nasties. Cheesecake does not need to have gelatine!