Today's offering from The Vegetarian Experience is a delightful Summer Pudding. This is a really healthy cold pudding and is very high in vitamin C, fibre and plant chemicals. Puddings made with bread are also lower in fat than pastry. This Summer Pudding tastes great served with Total Greek Yoghurt. The yoghurt complements the summer fruits and bread perfectly! This is another NetMums recipe, which can be found in the Feeding Kids Recipe book. Beware, you have to chill the Summer Pudding for 12 hours before serving!!
8 slices white Bread
100g caster Sugar
5 tbsp Water
750g mixed summer fruit (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants)
Total Greek Natural Yoghurt to accompany
- Cut the crusts off the bread and discard. Reserve half of the slices and use the remaining slices to line a medium pudding basin
- Put the sugar and water into a large pan and heat gently, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the fruit and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add half of the hot fruit mixture to the bread-lined bowl, then cover with a layer of bread. Add the remaining fruit and cover with the remaining bread
- Cover the basin with a saucer which sits on the bread and add a food tin to act as a weight. Chill for 12 hours.
- To serve, remove the tin and the saucer. Place a serving dish over the top of the basin and invert, shaking gently so the pudding comes out.