Another post for you today, made using Total Greek Natural Yoghurt. which was sent to me for review. What better dish to use Greek Yoghurt in than a Greek Moussaka? Obviously, a traditional Greek moussaka would contain meat, but this delicious vegetarian version is made using aubergines and kidney beans in chilli sauce and is just as filling.
This recipe is taken from the 1992 version of The Dairy book of Home Cookery - a fab recipe book with a whole host of different foods featured. My Mum got the original 1978 version from the milkman and this was her main cookery book throughout my childhood.
Chilli Bean Moussaka is a real easy veggie dish to whip up for tea and is great served with salad and bread. The aubergines and chilli beans which form the basis of the moussaka, combined really well with the cheese and yoghurt to make a tasty meal.
2 medium Aubergines, sliced and salted
1 medium Onion, sliced
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 tbsp Oil
1 x 400g Can of Tinned Tomatoes
1tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 x 400g Can of Kidney Beans in Chilli sauce
150g Total Greek Natural Yoghurt
150ml Fresh Milk
1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
Salt & Pepper
50g Red Leicester Cheese, grated
- Sprinkle aubergines with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 30 minutes. Rinse and drain well
- Fry onion and garlic in oil for 5 minutes
- Add tomatoes, thyme, cinnamon, beans and aubergines
- Simmer for fifteen minutes, or until aubergines are soft
- Blend cornflour with a little yoghurt, then mix with remaining yoghurt, milk, nutmeg and pepper
- Transfer aubergine mixture into a flameproof dish.
- Spoon yoghurt mixture over and top with cheese
- Grill until the cheese has melted and yoghurt mixture is hot
Disclaimer: Total Greek Yoghurt offered free in consideration for review